Thursday, January 22, 2009

Looking at Kicker Skins

K and I are planning on skiing the Wildcat Valley Trail this weekend and that means skiing up Wildcat first (I don't like riding the lift, feels like I've cheated for this particular trail). In the past I've used a number of different skis and have always run a waxless with some kickwax on infront and behind the waxless pattern to just make things a bit easier. It has always worked ok, but the last time I skied this trail my skiing partner for the day (Ward Solar- gonna miss you on this trip buddy)ran full skins on his tele set up. He just walked up all the pitches without any concern of slipping, while I was traversing side to side on the steeper spots and slipping out from time to time.

This got me to thinking that maybe a kicker skin like these would be a good idea.

I have no idea how well they will work, as I'm a little concerned that they may not be long enough, but I don't feel like shelling out for a full length skin- so we'll see. The play is to run them on a pair of old Karhu Catamounts and then K will run a set on her Salomon Blades (wish I had bought a pair of these when Nate was blowing them out up at GGTOC)

Hoping to get the kids out skiing again tonight at Rog's Trails. And I'm hoping K will be as happy as she is in this photo when she's climbed 1000 vertical and still has 1000 to go!

No comments: