Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Back on Track

My ski season hit a bit of a speed bump a few weeks ago when all the snow in my yard melted. I'm not sure what the story was as I knew there was great snow up in the mountains, but since my yard was bare I figured cycling season had started.

Last week I got back on track by heading up to enjoy a day up at Wildcat with a buddy from work. We lucked out and got a bluebird day and perfect snow for gripping and ripping. I took out the alpine skis and had a good time trying to see how deep of a trench I could rip into the side of the mountain. There weren't too many people there so we were making full use of the trails making big, fast turns that left tracks that ran fully edge to edge. It was fun making turns like that as I can't quite do that on my tele boards.


We took a short break to give me a chance to try and fix a hot spot in my boot and while I was doing that I saw the coolest ski pants I've ever seen.

Enough said.

We made about a dozen runs and then pulled the plug as we both had to get back to pick up our kids from school, and we wanted to make sure we had time to stop by the Moat for a bit of late lunch.

That day on the hill got me fully juiced to ski again and knowing that we had a stretch of wet weather heading our way for the weekend I took advantage of the kids having Friday off from school and we headed over to Shawnee Peak. Elizabeth, my oldest, invited a friend of hers to come with us. He was talking big game in the car about how we were going to need to wait for him, I sort of chuckled to myself as he didn't seem to be able to comprehend that my girls can rip on skis and that he was going to find himself trying to keep up. That proved true very quickly and he settled his ego a bit, instead focusing on keeping up with the girls. It made me realize I need to find out if Team Betty is still around so I can get some new "Ski Like a Girl" stickers. Emma was taking special pride in schooling Liz's friend. What can I say it made me smile.


The weekend came and went with wet weather reminding us that spring is right around the corner. It took me most of the weekend to figure out how to set all of our clocks ahead, still have a few to go.

Then this morning I found motivation to head up the mountain for an AM skin and ski with a brief pause to watch the sun rise. I never tire of watching the sky change color and watching the snow slowly go from blue to white. The snow was a bit stiff in places this morning, but I'd bet by the time first chair spun it was in good shape.



Now I have a couple more days of AM skin and ski trips and then on Friday K and I are heading over to Bretton Woods for a good day out on the hill over there. In all it will complete a very good weeks worth of skiing.

No comments: