Monday, January 14, 2013

Fog

January Thaw? That must be what is going on. I'm watching the snow slowly sink into the Earth as water, and I can feel my attitude starting to sink as well. This always happens and I'm not sure why it catches me off guard, but it always does.

Yesterday I woke up and it was foggy, I mean really foggy. My skiing partner and I had planned to climb that morning and I figured what the heck. So we headed out into the pea soup thick fog and made our way to the mountain. I was joking that I could just sit in the car and enjoy my coffee and then take a nap, but Chris wouldn't let me off the hook and we kitted up to head up the hill.

Chris kept telling me it would be clear when we got up higher, I wasn't so sure. The climb is only 1300 feet, so it only takes about 35-40 minutes, but after 15 minutes we were still in the dank fog. Then we began to see a bit of pink in the air as the fog thinned and the sun began to approach the early morning horizon. We then broke through and were treated to a spectacular sunrise with fantastic undercast.

As we climbed above the clouds I could feel my spirits begin to rise. The snow was a bit crusty, but it was snow and it wasn't melting. By the time we got to the summit I was full on giddy to get my skins off and to enjoy the trip down. The snow was better than it had looked and soon I was full on smiles. Of course what lay beneath my feet as we descended was more fog, but it no longer mattered as I had seen the sun.

Now I've gotta go watch the Weather Channel and see when we can get back into a storm cycle again!

Get out and ski.





1 comment:

James said...

Hi,
Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Skiing Community? Our members will love it.
It's free and easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also add Photos, Videos, Classifieds and News Articles if you like.
Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
Please feel free to share as often and as much as you like.
The Skiing Community: http://www.vorts.com/skiing
I hope you consider sharing with us.
Thank you,
James Kaufman, Editor