Monday, December 20, 2010

Snow Snakes

Have you ever seen a snow snake? I’ve never seen one, however I’ve been attacked by them several times a year for well over 30 years- so I know they exist. The reason they are so tough to see is that they are white as snow and they actually travel under the top layer of snow and only come up at the opportune time to cause you to fall. Of course once you are falling it becomes difficult to focus on the snow snake to get visual identification as you are more concerned with not landing awkwardly.

I’m sure many people have tried, as I have, to see the elusive snow snake. The closest I have come was skiing behind a friend and thinking I saw something near his feet just before he launched himself head over heels down the hill in spectacular yard sale form. However I was never sure if it was in fact a snow snake or he just caught an edge.

I’m optimistic that an image of the mysterious snow snake may soon be captured, as there seems to be a large number of people skiing around with video cameras attached to their helmets. Although I have yet to see one of those cameras aimed down at the feet, which I assume would be the best angle for capturing video of said snow snake.

How does one know if they have been a victim of a snow snake? Ask yourself if you’ve ever been skiing and fallen, completely unexpectedly and without warning. These aren’t the typical blown turn, or launched off a bump type of falls, a snow snake induced fall is one that catches you completely off guard. When you stop falling you will find yourself looking around for something to blame the fall on, something that either stopped you skis abruptly or just simply took your feet out.

If you are riding the lift you can identify these victims by the way the look back up the hill after they are done sliding, or they look down at their boots- fearful the snow snake may still be at their feet. They survey the area shaking their head, convinced that something took them down.

It should be noted that not all skiers believe in snow snakes, some feel it is just a ploy to pass off wrecks caused by skier error. These are the same people that question the validity of the Snow Gods and think that you should wash your lucky ski socks during the ski season. I for one know they exist, and am sure that we will see a documentary on the Discovery Channel one day with video proof of their existence. In the mean time, ski with your eyes scanning the terrain, hands in front and knees bent- as I hear this is the best known defense against the elusive snow snake.

No comments: