Sunday, February 7, 2010

Snow Storm


I had a great early morning climb followed by a nice sun rise run at my local hill. As I was skinning up I was thinking about this storm that the Mid Atlantic was getting nailed with, and how weather that we dream of can be so crippling to another part of the country. I found myself just shaking my head at times as I picked my way up part of a trail that was in desperate need of some snow.

Despite the lack of snow it was still very nice to get out in the morning and enjoy the fresh air. In fact I had a chance to get a little bit of a later start, meaning I got to enjoy my first sun rise where I got to see the sun actually break the horizon. Up to this point it has been more of enjoying a really orange and pink horizon line.

Having a bit more light meant I could play with the video feature on my point and shoot camera. Of course I didn't check the battery before I headed out, so the video didn't last very long! However I did get enough battery to shoot the sun rise and a skin removal. The good news for me- the camera quit just as I went to do the other ski and promptly fell down.

The ski down was excellent. Having first tracks is something I'll never get sick of. Once in the car I tuned into NPR and heard Dulles International Airport got 32 inches out of the storm. Wow! That is a big storm no matter where you are.

Maybe the next storm will track north to an area that will actually appreciate it!

No comments: