Monday, November 16, 2009

Ski Column Rehash Part II

When was the last time you treated yourself to a new pair of skis? It had been a couple of years for me, but the other day I couldn't take it any more and pulled the trigger on a new pair of boards for my gravity induced enjoyment. I did this without doing a demo, which I shouldn't have- but I have no patience and tend to have a very impulsive personality, so when I decided it was time for new skis that meant that I needed them right away.

I was brought up in a skiing family that stressed that it wasn't the equipment but the operator that makes all the difference, and I still believe this. But if you are in a car race and you have a choice between a Porsche 911 and a Chevy Citation, I think I know what any one of us would take.

Now the first run on a pair of skis is always interesting. There is a part of you that expects amazing things to just happen, and when they don't you wonder what all the fuss is about. Then you realize that you actually have to be moving to feel the skis do their things, so you actually push off and begin to ski.

The first few turns can be interesting, the skis do one of three things- either turn quicker, turn slower, or do nothing as you set them on edge- and in any one of these three situations you may find yourself surprised and having to re-adjust things. Especially if they did nothing and you found yourself flying into the woods at speed. Hopefully that last scenario hasn't happened to others- but it has happened to me on occasion, although I have come to grips with the fact that it has nothing to do with the skis and much more to do with the operator.

Usually within a run or two you begin to feel out the skis and understand what they want to do based on your input and how to get them to do what you want them to. Now this is when you will decide if the ski is right for you, and if you are not sure there is a simple test- ski up to the lift attendant and ask them to describe the look on your face- if they say you have this crazy smile that looks part crazed and part euphoric then you know you have a pair of skis that make you happy. If they say you're only half smiling, then go down to the shop and try another pair, and keep going until you either have frostbite or the liftie tells you that you've got the crazed look going.

The beautiful thing is that there is a perfect pair of skis for you out there somewhere, sitting in a ski shop waiting for you to take them home. You may need to try many skis to find that perfect pair, but the effort will be well worth it. The bottom line is our economy needs us to find bliss in new ski gear, and I can't think of a better way to not only feel good, but to do good- so head to your local shop and try some new skis.

This first ran in The Mountain Ear on January 22, 2009

No comments: