Monday, November 16, 2009

Nordic Column Rehash Part II

"Want to go skiing?" I ask that question a lot in my house. Usually there is some interest, but often that initial interest is followed by "let me just do this first." But there are times when I don't want to wait, I just want to get out the door and start skiing. When that is the case I find that my two best ski partners are our dogs.

They never ask where their boots are. They never wonder where their other mitten is. I've never heard Molly or Jake ask me to find them their ski socks. I've never had to wax their skis or dry their ski pants. The dogs never say, "just a second." They always seem ready to go and usually are waiting for me at the door to go.

Once we are out on the trail they don't stop to fix their boot or ask me to wait up or yell at me for going the wrong way. If I choose to go explore and break trail they never ask me where we are going and if we are lost, they just follow and we have a good time.

The down side is they don't offer much in the way of conversation, granted they'll listen to me talk about my week or about where I think this line through the woods will end up, but they never have much in the way of response. From time to time they might stop and bark at a hole in the snow, in hopes that whatever critter that made the hole will come out and "play".

While the dogs don't require much from me when it comes to getting out and skiing there are a few things that do make it a better trip for them. Their paws appreciate a bit of attention during the winter. We use balm for the dogs paws that mushers suggest called Musher's Secret (you can find it at Four Your Paws Only), this helps keep their paws healthy and soft. Our little dog isn't the hairiest of dogs, so he needs a bit of help to stay warm. A fleece coat with a nylon shell keeps him warm and able to stay out on the trail for a good amount of time. The other thing I always make sure to bring- a leash of some sort, my dogs have an uncanny ability to meet and get to know porcupines, so I like to be able to hook up the dogs if I see any pointy critters. I also make sure my pockets have a few dog cookies in them, and while out on the trail I try not to confuse the dog cookies with my own energy bars!

They do make little boots for dogs as well, if your dog seems to need a bit more protection for the feet. They also make small packs that your dog can wear that would enable them to carry some food and water if you really want your dog to carry her own weight! Of course then you might find that you dog is looking for you to find their boots and pack when you are getting ready to go out and ski!

There is a bit of etiquette to keep in mind when it comes to skiing with your dogs. If you are breaking your own trail then it's your call if you want your dogs walking in your track or walking beside you. For some who have just laid in a nice track it can be a bit upsetting to see Fido running full speed post holing as he goes. The other obvious issue, where your pooch does his business, make sure it isn't right in the trail. I've skied through doggie doo before- and it's not that pleasant to clean off! Some ski areas allow you to bring your dog, such as Bear Notch Ski Touring. They ask that your bog be well behaved and to make sure that you clean up after him.

Get out and take your dog for a ski, she'll appreciate it. Just make sure to take it easy the first few times to make sure that their paws can handle being in the snow for a period of time, and also pay attention to if your dog seems warm enough, if not- just go shopping for one of those cool jackets.

Originally printed in the Mountain Ear on December 18, 2008

No comments: