Friday, January 8, 2010

My morning ski


I've been trying to get up early in the morning before work to skin up Shawnee Peak and get in my one run a day. It works out well as it is about a 40 minute ski up the mountain, followed by a few minutes back down. Basically it's an hour to an hour fifteen round trip- so I can get it done before the girls need help getting ready for school.

The tough part is that the sun really isn't up until almost 7am (although it is getting a few minutes earlier every day) so the ski down is done in very pale morning light. In fact earlier this week it was done more under moonlight- which I have to say was very cool.

I love having the mountain to myself early in the AM. I love being outside and getting in an ok work out that will have a better than OK payoff when it comes time to point the skis down the hill and head back down to the car.

The part my ego enjoys is how people react to it- which I find interesting, if you go to the gym at 5am people see that as normal, but skin up a mountain at 5am and suddenly your hardcore. The reality is it isn't that big of a deal, and in my humble opinion it is a lot harder to be motivated to run on a treadmill inside than it is to skin up a mountain under the stars and to enjoy a great sunrise when you get to the top. Add to that the turns you get on the way back down.


As a side note I want to wish my Dad a happy birthday today!

That's it from me. Now get out and ski.


sven

No comments: