Thursday, February 26, 2009

Great Morning

The alarm went off at 4:32am, and I was tempted to just keep sleeping. My back had a tinge and I could have used the sleep. But I knew if I didn't get up I'd kick myself later. I slipped out of bed, careful not to wake K, the kids, or the dogs. Downstairs I turned on the stove for the coffee and got my oatmeal rolling. Into my gear I went.

By a short bit past 5am I was done eating and was working on my first cup of coffee. The rest went into the thermos and my feet went into my boots (you can drive in tele boots making life much easier). Out the door I went. When I got outside I couldn't see the stars and that left me concerned that we weren't going to get a good sunrise, but at that point I was awake and dressed- may as well ski!

The drive over saw me spill much of my first cup as the frost heaves tossed me around- oh well, that's why I bring a full thermos. Soon I was at the mountain and finished kitting up and started the trek.

We had gotten a crazy amount of snow this week (25" in the last storm) so the conditions are excellent. The skin up was good, I only had to traverse once on the steepest pitch of Headwall, and I was running the kicker skins, so I was pleased with that. By the time I got to mid station the sky was beginning to show a bit of light. I knew I had time to get to the top before the great colors started to show, but there was still that tinge of doubt that I wouldn't make it so I picked up the pace.

I hit the summit at 6:05am and did my quick swap out of hats and put on my down vest to make sure I didn't chill. Then I watched. The colors began to intensify and then I could see the very top of the sun as it made its proud advancement into the sky. The clouds actually made for interesting colors as it was just the horizon that seemed to be clear of clouds. I watched taking pictures and wishing K had made the trip with me. Soon the mountain was bathed in a wonderful alpenglow and it was time to head down.


The ski down is always nice, and I always find I appreciate every turn a bit more when I've skinned up to earn it. But this morning I kept stopping and looking to the east as the sun continued its march into the sky- just stunning.


Once back at the car, and with cup number two of coffee poured and ready to get me home, I realized that few people get to enjoy that type of a sunrise. While it made me feel good that I did get to see it, it also bummed me out that I didn't get to share it with others.

As I drove over the causeway I could see that the sun had moved into the clouds and the magic was over. People getting up at 6:30 am weren't going to be treated to the colors I had just enjoyed.

I got home and K and the girls were up and having breakfast, when I showed Liz the pictures she said when was that? I told her it had been just a half hour ago, she looked out the window, then back at me and shrugged. Back to her cereal.

But for me it was a great morning, and reminded me how lucky we are to live where we do and to have the ability to play in the great outdoors.

No comments: